Saturday, January 30, 2016

Organic Gardening: Nori to bandage plants

Nori is an edible seaweed sold in most grocery stores as a Sushi wrapping. It provides a wide variety of trace minerals along with protein, fat, dietary fiber, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iodine, zinc, iron, Niacin, Folic Acid, Pantothenic Acid, and Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, E, K all in a bio-available form.

After learning about it's suitability as a bandage in people due to it's regenerative properties I decided to experiment with it's use in the garden which resulted in successfully mending breaks and bends in a tomato plant. Here I show a recent injury and how I address the problem with Nori.

For this only Organic Uncooked (raw) Nori will work. Cooked Nori has less nutritional value which significantly impairs it's usefulness as a bandage, and if it isn't organic it might have undesirable additives which could hurt the plants.

I plan to follow up with another video after the injuries have healed.

.......

More Info:

.......

I actually something I came up with myself.

For years I have been using Honey as my primary bandage whenever I get a major injury until I learned that Nori makes for an effective bandage as well. After successfully combining Nori and Buckwheat Honey into a combined First Aid process I learned that some people used tape to repair injured plants. I tried this myself a few times, but found that the tape caused damage to more delicate stems and rarely worked. I finally ended up with a Kale plant with a complete break and tried wrapping with Nori and then taping. The plant healed and thrived and I had a feeling it had more to do with the Nori in that case because of the way the tape went on, so I began to use Nori with string to repair tomato injuries and that worked perfectly. That's how I came to use Nori in gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment